When you make filling of Bento box, you can learn many typical Japanese dishes.
Onigiri, Kara-age, Rolled omelette, Strawberry Daifuku and Japanese side dishes.
I’ll introduce two recipe ” Kara-age ” ( Japanese fried chicken) and “Vegetable with
sesame sauce” this time.
Please check the blog ” Do you know this Japanese food Kimpira? ” about a recipe
of ” Kimpira of Lotus roots “.
” Kara-age ”
* Chicken thigh 200g
*Soy sauce 2tbs, Sake 1tbs, Mirin 1tsp, Sugar 1tsp, Grated apple 2tbs,
Grated ginger 1tsp, Grated garlic 1tsp, Salt 1pinch and pepper , Potato starch 3-4tbs,
1. Cut chicken in 3cm squares .
2. Put all ingredients except potato starch in a plastic bag.
3. Use hands to massage the chicken well through the plastic bag to allow flavors
4. Keep in the fridge for more than 30minutes .
5. Drain the excess marinade sauce from the chicken by a piece of paper towel.
6. Coat with potato starch and shake off any excess potato starch.
7. Deep fry the chicken at 180℃ for 2minutes one side each.
For crispy finish, raise the temperature to 200℃ for 15seconds.
” Vegetable with sesame sauce ”
* Boiled your favorite vegetables (Snap beans, Spinach, Broccoli etc.) 100g
* Sesame 3tbs, Soy sauce less than 1tbs, Sake 2tsp, Sugar 1tbs, Mirin 1tsp, A little salt,
Add ingredients of sesame sauce into a Japanese bowl ” Suribachi” and mix well by
using a Japanese pestle “Surikogi”.
The Surikogi grinds foods much more gently compared to a spice mill.
Mix the vegetables and sesame sauce lightly.
Preparing dishes for Bento Box is enjoyable!!